Version: 3.0 update by Mr.Loathsome. More performance optimizations.
Also the monsters spawned by this version of the mutator will have random sizes. Range 40% to 2x of default size.
Overview -------- This mutator will evoke a Unreal I monster everytime a player on a killing spree is fragged. Whoever frags the monster gets extra points. Unreal is NOT required, all monsters come with the UT code.
I have been using the old Bad News! mutator by Major Disaster for years on a few of my servers.
Knew it had a few issues, but did not realize how many until I took a look at the source code a few weeks ago.
Almost everything in the original badnews.txt file is still valid, with these exceptions:
1. Flies and Mantas will only be spawned individually, not in groups of 2 or 3. (After my rewrite, that bit was just putting too many Flies and Mantas in the game.)
2. There is no Umod install for this version. Just drop BN2.u and BN2.int into your UnrealTournament/System folder.
3. There is no need to place this in the ServerPackages section of the ini if you are running this on a server. Simply add BN2.BN to the mutators= section of the server command line.
Issues that were fixed:
1. Original version would break the mutator chain whenever a Cow or LeglessKrall was killed.
2. Occasionally, it would spawn an invisible monster that would not die. Seemed to happen once every 5-10 matches. This has been stopped.
3. It was broadcasting duplicate messages on deaths. This has been fixed and I have added a bunch of new messages on monster deaths. (23 of them)
4. The SetupMonster function he had, was doing a whole lot of unneccessary things, most of which served only to fill the log file with scriptwarings and errors, and slowed down the spawning conciderably.
i.e. --> monster.bIsPlayer=true; <--NEVER DO THIS!
That is pretty much it. I made an attempt to contact the original author, but message was bounced back with a full mailbox error. I am assuming he is no longer available or active with UT.
Hi, I'm the original author of Bad News. As you correctly surmised I am not much active with UT nowadays, but I stumbled into this post and I just had to drop in.
First, thanks for taking over my code and going through all the issues. The original was hastily cobbled together as a practical joke targeted to the players of a specific event (on on the NGI servers, iirc), and I never got around to polish it properly - I do remember the invisible monster, the duplicate death messages, and also some monsters (mostly Titans) never appearing in some maps. Anyway you did an awesome job of fixing all these and then some, so congrats and keep up the good work
Note. This will not work with U1. I compiled it with Botpack as an edit package. DERP!!!!
RC2, will work with U1 and UT. It will most likely also fix the errors inherited from the Fly code that occasionally cause the warnings in the log. (State TacticalMove. Function PickDestination craps....)
The default sightradius for the zombies is set at 8200, but if you use the SwarmSpawner mutator instead of the mutator included in the Zombies5 package, I think you can adjust that. (Haven't testing adjusting that specific setting yet,....)