Page 1 of 11
Forum moderator: MrLoathsome 
Forum » Game Servers » Loathsomes Coop Servers » Server Downtime - 7/16/2012
Server Downtime - 7/16/2012
MrLoathsomeDate: Monday, 16-Jul-2012, 9:41 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Moderators
Awards: 0
Looks like all the servers may be down for a day or 2 at least. Perhaps a bit longer.

I was able to jury-rig a fix for the broken heatsink/fan mounting, but turns out the system is
having other issues also. HDD was making the scary "click of death" noise when I rebooted
it, and GRUB halts and wont load up the kernel....
angry

ATM I have SpinrRite running recovery on the disk. SpinRite does see the linux partitions correctly, so if
we are lucky, I will be able to get at the current versions of everything on there and back them up someplace.

I think the current plan is as follows:

Will replace the current machine with the hardware that was running the dedicated EXU2 server.
Current sick machine has a Intel 478 2.6g HT CPU in it. The other is the same, except a 3.0g CPU, so
there will be a very slight increase in CPU speed.

SpinRite is going to run at least 12 hours or so, and I have to work all day tomorrow, so it won't be until
Tuesday before I have a chance to look at things close.

Might look at booting up the old P3 Dually server if it appears things will take too long.

Will post update soon as I know more.

Moo

MrLoathsomeDate: Tuesday, 17-Jul-2012, 6:43 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant colonel
SpinRite was able to get the disk booting up again.

The Assault server failed to load up. Seems some of the files in that directory were corrupted.

The DM and Oldskool ECoop both seemed to load up fine, as did the web/ftp/mysql servers.

Currently backing the thing up while it is up and running before taking any other actions.

Once that is complete, I am going to run the SpinRite utility on that drive again, to see if it can
repair any of the remaining problems.

If the machine works alright after that, I will run it for a while so I can test my white-trash repair on the
heatsink for a while. This will give me a bit more time to look at setting up the slightly faster machine that
will replace it at some point.

*Update. The machine had a kernel-panic and died while the backup was going on.
SpinRite is running on it again....

Moo

MrLoathsomeDate: Wednesday, 18-Jul-2012, 1:48 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant colonel
7/18/12 update.

Ran SpinRites level 2 recovery mode on the drive. (Took over 26 hours to finish....)
Had to run the linux fsck to repair issues with the filesystem after that, but things are back
to almost normal on the server. A few files that were open when the crash occurred were lost, but
most of those were just log files.

One of the lost files was the Ecoop.ini file for the oldskool server.
I do have a somewhat stale backup copy of it, but am leaving it running as is for now, as it seems
to be much nicer to the cpu. At least in the testing done so far since I got the thing booting up again.

The olskool server is currently running with the built in default settings for ECoop, so the hud is a bit
borked up, and you start with no weapons at all. However, it will also run the EXU2/G59 maps without overheating
the cpu.... So those maps are currently on it. (G59 needs to be updated.)

My heatsink repair is keeping temps cooler that it was before, but EXU2-15-Highlands on the AKCoop server still cranks CPU to 100% and temps to 70c +
(AK server is running with the same ini as before atm. The EXU2/G59 maps are on hold there still....)

Once various other issues have been fixed, and more tests/backups are done, we should look at modifying both ECoop.ini files to see if we can
turn down some of the bells and whistles, and get those maps working without melting the hardware.

Moo

MrLoathsomeDate: Saturday, 04-Aug-2012, 9:03 AM | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Installed the new stuff today.

New CPU and the bracket are working fine, but I am not impressed at all with this tricky heatsink with the
dual copper heat pipes and insane 6000 rpm fan. It is keeping it from overheating, but runs approx 15*c
hotter than that the EXU2 server does. It idles hotter than it was with my redneck repair on the stock HS.....

Servers down for a few minutes here, while I swap out that failure heatsink with a brand new Thermaltake
copper HS, which I suspect will work better. (I think I have something similar on the EXU2 pc.)

The 2 servers have identical Supermicro motherboards, near identical memory, vid card, psu etc.
The new chip is only 0.2ghz faster than the 3.0g Prescott that is running in the EXU2 server.
No way difference in idle temps should be that much....

Cases are different, but they are both fucking wind-tunnels. I used to overclock stuff in both of them before they became servers.

Will post update when HS swap is complete.

Moo

UBerserkerDate: Saturday, 04-Aug-2012, 11:29 AM | Message # 5
Private
Group: Checked
At this point, if you keep up the EXU2 server, the best thing is probably removing anything EXU from both ECoop servers. Since the problem still persists after you have thrown $$ for better equipment, this is the only worthwhile suggestion.

Otherwise, if nobody goes in the EXU2 server and you want to bring it down again, stick the EXU-only maps in the ECoop server (not the AkCoop one).

MrLoathsomeDate: Monday, 06-Aug-2012, 6:13 AM | Message # 6
Lieutenant colonel
Re: Current hardware issues. (Probably more info than anybody cares about....)

Did a bit of checking, and it seems that 3.2ghz is where Intel started reaching the limits of the 478 chips as
far as temps go. They made some 3.4ghz versions, but I bet you would need a watercooled rig to really
crank one up. I think these ran hotter than anything before or since.

Perhaps this 3.2ghz chip I got just runs at the high end of the curve, but all 3 of the 3.0ghz Prescott's I have run
a LOT cooler. I did use some crappy white HS compound on this install because I had run out of the good stuff.

I have ordered some Artic Silver 5 stuff, and will get the main servers back online shortly after that arrives.
Hopefully sometime in the next 3-5 days.

Plan will be as follows.

One of my 3.0ghz chips is in a PC I used to used for web development and javascript, but it has been sitting
under a desk idle for nearly a year now.... (The other 2 are in the EXU server and the desktop I use now.)

When the good HS compound gets here, I am gonna yank that 3.0 chip out of the old dev box, and put it in the
main server, with the Thermaltake HS. That tricky AVC HS with the copper heat pipes and SCREAMING loud
fan will not work at all for a 24/7 server. It is LOUD. Sounds like a freaking shop vac.
It was keeping the 3.2ghz cpu 3-5*c cooler than the Thermaltake, but I don't think I could sleep with that thing
running in the next room.

The 3.0ghz Prescott will still be a pretty good upgrade from the previous CPU. I can play with the 3.2ghz thing in
the spare desktop, and if it melts I got the old 2.6 Northwood as a backup for it.

And if it runs at the temps it has been in the past, I should be able to have the EXU stuff on all the coop servers.
I am going to look at tinkering with the maxclientrate variable a bit. I am pretty sure setting that a bit higher than
what is generally recommended or needed for normal UT servers, will help with the amount of shit happening in EXU.
Long ago I had to worry about maxing out my DSL bandwidth if there were enough players on all the servers, but that
has not really been an issue for quite some time....

Will post update when status changes.

Moo

MrLoathsomeDate: Thursday, 09-Aug-2012, 1:33 AM | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
Well the Arctic sliver arrived today, so I took the 3.0ghz chip out of the spare desktop and installed it in the server.

I booted it, went to the bios HW monitor screen, and then it promptly locked up hard.
Reseated the heat sink again, but could only get instant alarms when I powered it up.

Put the old 2.6ghz chip in it, but now it wont even power up the monitor. MB powers up, fans
spin, no alarms. Nothing.

At this point, I am not sure what I will try next.

Moo

NelsonaDate: Thursday, 09-Aug-2012, 7:07 AM | Message # 8
Lieutenant colonel
A kind of note for me: Here is a hot summer. Is nasty for a PC hosting a high loaded server. Once I changed an old server used for hosting with another one a bit better. I used that old PC for playing. Almost freezed in a hard loaded map due to cooler speed settings from Bios. I increased the speed, later it worked without problems, even was a bit noisy.

EXU pawns have aggressive timers (I noticed a warning in code), they are meant for a big war. Looking at these posts, this aggressive problem of EXU seems to be not only my problem. At least my old PC for play is developing frames lost at ShitGun when I'm firing excessive not really for all EXU stuff, but is still a high load, when more pawns are detecting me and start moving around, I "feel" the PC shaking. They are indeed coded well, but I believe they are to heavy for CPU, is just my opinion.

Message edited by Nelsona - Thursday, 09-Aug-2012, 7:11 AM

UBerserkerDate: Friday, 10-Aug-2012, 2:55 PM | Message # 9
Private
Almost all of the EXU2 code has been revamped in the upcoming demo (when it will ever come out). UE1 unfortunately isn't the most powerful thing ever.

MrLoathsomeDate: Saturday, 11-Aug-2012, 3:05 AM | Message # 10
Lieutenant colonel
Indeed.

For now, the exu2 server will stay up with the exu2 stuff, and the ECoop servers will run all the other SP maps.

Got the trusty old P3 server up running now. Fastest P3 you ever saw I bet. LOL

Moo

Forum » Game Servers » Loathsomes Coop Servers » Server Downtime - 7/16/2012
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2017