Tuesday, 25-Jul-2017  00:00:00
Enhanced Coop  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » Map Packs, Mods & Mutators » Maps & Mods » MrLoathsome's NewBird project. (The answer to a question nobody asked.....)
MrLoathsome's NewBird project.
MrLoathsomeDate: Wednesday, 14-Mar-2012, 7:16 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Moderators
Awards: 0
After posting the ultra-basic DamBirds thing, I decided to proceed further with seeing what I could do with FlockPawns.
The Bird specifically.

The original bird flockpawn seemed very limited and even incomplete.
In my testing, many of the states/functions never seemed to occur.
The motionless bird "carcass" never looked right to me.

I pretty much rewrote the AI for the bird, although I am using
the default model/animations etc.

These are still FlockPawns.
(Which are basically just Pawns with 3 default settings changed near as I can tell...)

Left in a few lines of code and some default settings as they were so that
these would still fly in the same way as the original Unreal birds
but without the numerous glitches that seemed to occur with them.

2 main reasons this is still a Beta:

1. Would like to get some feedback from a mapper(s) to make sure
things are working right if these are used in a map.
During all the development & testing of these, I have only added them to
maps using various mutators or the Summon command.

2. The 5 new color options I added are extremely basic.
All I did was adjust hue/color variables a bit on copies of the default bird1
texture. Only spent about 15 minutes or so on that.

That seems to be about the extent of my texturing skills.

Made some feeble attempts to hack the default texture into something that
resembled a bat at one point, and it sort of worked, but was too horrible
looking to be released at all.

The new colors would best be used for spawning small flocks of similar
birds, probably in conjuntion with an adjustemtent to the default DrawScale etc.

In the event that somebody with better texturing/modeling skills than me
can tweak the textures that are included with the source into better or
different looking birds, those could easily be included into the final.

Just use the texture UnrealShare.Bird1.JBird11.pcx as the template.

If you want to test the beta, get it here:
NewBirds_Beta1

Post comments, bug reports, suggestions etc. here.

Moo

Message edited by MrLoathsome - Wednesday, 14-Mar-2012, 7:17 AM

HookDate: Wednesday, 14-Mar-2012, 7:19 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Checked
Ah yes, Very good project - seems like a fun one!
I'll wait for the final!

NelsonaDate: Thursday, 15-Mar-2012, 1:49 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Checked
Yep, the Birds got me mad once. In one of controllers compiled by me I removed those useless Swarm A.I. Pawns (their true name gave by Epic). They were meant basically for decoration purpose as I noticed being instructed at minimum possible. I was wandering why a NaliRabbit (other one like these) was instructed to Hate human player but don't have any combat code or something close to such an attitude. Anyway the single "guy" able to harm player is BiterFish (Gopostal suggested a replacement due to some native bugs ....) indeed replacement for their school worked but Bird1 was a problem. So, I worked a bit to another class Bird2 but I wasn't interested to develop a combat code (I could hack code from Manta by example or even Fly) but I was a bit lazy because Mantas and Flies are ScriptedPawns and need a lot of aditional codes to make them aggressive. I don't know how is working a server with such pawns since EUT has even an option to remove FlockPawns, these creatures I think are harmfull if a killer have some spree killing them and isn't human, I really believe that can hang server - not crash - complete HALT. The same story is if a cannon is triggered and kill some monsters server is interrupted with brutality (this happened not once in MH). Even default monsters won't be interested about FlockPawns (have code to avoid them completely).

MrLoathsomeDate: Thursday, 15-Mar-2012, 8:06 AM | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Quote (Nelsona)
So, I worked a bit to another class Bird2 but I wasn't interested to develop a combat code (I could hack code from Manta by example or even Fly) but I was a bit lazy because Mantas and Flies are ScriptedPawns and need a lot of aditional codes to make them aggressive.

I made a point of NOT looking at any of the Fly, Manta or other individual pawns code when developing this.
Did look at the Pawn and ScriptedPawn classes some, but tried to write all the new AI code from scratch. Just
used the bird1 code as sort of a starting point, but most of the functions in that have been replaced.

Quote (Nelsona)
I don't know how is working a server with such pawns since EUT has even an option to remove FlockPawns, these creatures I think are harmfull if a killer have some spree killing them and isn't human, I really believe that can hang server - not crash - complete HALT.

Haven't seen a server or client lockup or crash yet due to these in testing....

Quote (Nelsona)
Even default monsters won't be interested about FlockPawns (have code to avoid them completely).

Well, if they get bumped by the Bird3 birds, they will indeed fight back. Was watching some titans swatting birds just the
other day during testing. Simple as just setting the bird to be the Bot or Monsters enemy in the bump function.....

Moo

Message edited by MrLoathsome - Thursday, 15-Mar-2012, 8:07 AM

MrLoathsomeDate: Saturday, 07-Apr-2012, 1:42 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
Anybody tried the birds yet?

@Nelsona.

Any time to check out my above response?

Bots and monsters will fight with FlockPawns, if I tell them to. (And the birds, tell anything they bump into to fight back....)

Re: Servercrash/lockup.

Since I wrote the UTSPFix extension to the default gametypes, I have not been using any of the default
UT gametypes at all. Not on the AS/DOM or CTF servers, or while playing and developing/testing stuff
off-line.
UTSPFix

If you or anybody else is adding monsters to any default gametype via any mutator, I highly recommend using the
UTSPFix gametypes. On or off-line.

The SwarmSpawn mutator will include a few example ini files for the NewBirds_Beta1 pawns, to make
it easier to see what they can do.

Moo

Forum » Map Packs, Mods & Mutators » Maps & Mods » MrLoathsome's NewBird project. (The answer to a question nobody asked.....)
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2017